VIP Member

• VIP Members
  • 180 posts
  • First Name:Jason
  • Country Flag:
  • No. Of Huskies:One

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

Huskamutes are a relatively new type of snow dogs that are now becoming more popular in the UK.

Huskamutes, are originally created from the crossing of an Alaskan Malamute with a Siberian Husky, to make a very good working dog, this combination of the Malamutes strength & stamina together with the Siberian Huskies speed & agility, makes them a great scooter or rig dog.
The amalgamation of both breeds also make them the ideal family dog, they have the gentle & loving temperaments.

Huskamutes are still NOT a registered ‘pure-breed’ & as such CAN'T be Kennel Club registered.

Recognition is decided by a small group of people, many of whom describe Huskamutes in a derogatory way, often calling them ‘mongrels’. All pedigree breeds of dog have, at some point in their history, been created from crossing different breeds of dog to obtain a dog which is better suited to its work, better looking or with better temperament.

We believe that with loving owners Huskamutes make excellent family pets.

In our opinion:

Huskamutes need at least a hour an a half of exercise a day as they are working dogs after all & need to burn off some of that energy.

(BUT NOT OFF LEAD)

#2 Tiki

Tiki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • First Name:Heather
  • Country Flag:
  • No. Of Huskies:Three

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

Sooo glad I found this! We've just added a Huskamute to our family :)

#3 Vanessa Berry

Vanessa Berry

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • First Name:Vanessa
  • Country Flag:

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm happy I found this too I'm adopting one from an hungarian shelter. so do you have any idea on a proper raw diet for them?

#4 Steve

Steve

Senior Moderator

• Forum Administration
  • 882 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Country Flag:
  • No. Of Huskies:Two

Current mood: Yee Haw

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm happy I found this too I'm adopting one from an hungarian shelter. so do you have any idea on a proper raw diet for them?

The diet would be the same but obviously the amounts to feed may be different.
When you bring him home we'll help with that after you weight him, measure him and stick some pics up including aerial shots that show his physique from above.
~Steve

#5 Vanessa Berry

Vanessa Berry

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Are Huskamutes supposed to outweigh a Malamute Attached File  523278_138208892972255_1395010247_n.jpg   82.83KB   4 downloads

This is his pic though

#6 Steve

Steve

Senior Moderator

• Forum Administration
  • 882 posts
  • Country Flag:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Are Huskamutes supposed to outweigh a Malamute

They can take after either the Sibe or the Mal in both temperament and size so there's no definite answer there. I doubt they would be bigger than a Mal though.
~Steve

#7 Vanessa Berry

Vanessa Berry

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'm going to re-weigh him but the lady said he weighed about 88-95 lbs

#8 Lisa_Cloud

Lisa_Cloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • First Name:Lisa
  • Country Flag:

Current mood: Tired

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Huskamutes are beautiful looking, is there a way to fight to get them a recognised breed in KC? xxx

#9 Steve

Steve

Senior Moderator

• Forum Administration
  • 882 posts
  • Country Flag:

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Huskamutes are beautiful looking, is there a way to fight to get them a recognised breed in KC? xxx

The Kennel Club have no plans to recognise Huskamutes as a pure breed.
The 'Huskamute' is a cross and whether or not all other recognised breeds got to their current 'pedigree breed' status by years of 'crossing' will not stand up in an argument.
Some people don't mind them existing, others would prefer the Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute remained pure and others [including myself to a certain degree] don't even like those being bred unless certain criteria are followed.
I'm keeping my views on the subject to myself but for those who have them, enjoy and love them as I'm sure they will you. :)
~Steve

#10 Demoneira

Demoneira

Advanced Member

• Non Active
  • 176 posts
  • First Name:Louise
  • Country Flag:
  • No. Of Huskies:Seven

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Agree with Steve

Both breeds are beautiful as they are why deliberately mess with nature. Northern breeds are some of the purest bred, undiluted breeds out there. This has got to be maintained.

Sibes can run long distance, quickly carrying some weight, Mals are freight dogs designed to pull great weight at shorter distances and not so fast. Totally different purposes!

The two breeds also have different temperaments I'd be very wary of having a Huskamute as a companion dog.

Breeding the two together can cause great strain on their health as both breeds are designed for different purposes. You wouldn't ask a mal to run 80 miles over two days and you wouldn't ask a sibe to pull a heavy weight.

The weight, body structure, bone mass etc is so different for each breed.

To work a 'Huskamute' in a rig or scooter situation would be quite dangerous as you don't know what qualities of each breed is in your dog, if it's more Mal and you ask it to sprint or run and it's organs aren't up to it.... also if it is more Sibe and you ask it to pull weight, again it might not be up for it

A Mal can pull one person on a rig, a Sibe wouldn't be able to do this - so how do you know what a 'Huskamute' can do safely?!

'Huskamutes' will never be KC recognised breed because of this.The KC has in the past been flawed but it's role is to determine whether mixing a breed has a purpose that isn't already fulfilled by a certain breed, this is based on scientific tests, researching the history of each breed etc. 'Huskamutes' do not serve a new purpose.

The KC does not have rules because of snobbery. Labradoodles for example; Labrador/ Poodle crosses have been rightly or wrongly been KC recognised as the mix means that the breed can be used as guide dogs for blind people with allergies. Thus fulfilling a new purpose.

Accidents do happen and of course the dog should be loved whatever it is. I rescued a cross breed myself whom I love dearly, but I would never actively promote the mix. Promoting the mix and those that deliberately breed the two is irresponsible. Those that purposely breed Huskamutes do so for the money and not for any concern about the dog and it's health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users